Friday, June 10, 2011

Treasure chests and a treasure hunt

Yesterday the kids decorated their treasure chests. It was a fairly easy project. I took two shoe boxes that had lids that flipped open and covered it in white butcher block paper.



Then I looked up pictures of treasure chests on google to let the kids get an idea of what they wanted their chests to look like. They got their ideas and this is what they came up with.



Not exactly what I thought but at least it was all their ideas.

For the treasure hunt, I went to the store and bought a few items to put in their boxes. I hit up Target's dollar spot and found some books. I also found some pirate stickers in the party section. I wanted to find some eye patches, chocolate coins, and candy necklaces. I settled on ring pops, goldfish, pirates booty, and Hershey nuggets because they were in gold and silver wrappers.

To make the kids have to hunt for their chests, I first hid the boxes. Then I cut out 8 strips of paper. I wrote clues on them and placed them around the house. The first clue I had and each clue after would lead to the next clue until finally it would lead to the treasure chests. Some examples of clues I used were "for the first clue, look by the glue" "go downstairs and look by the chair" "M's kitchen would like to pitch in" and the last one said "you sure are a clever fellow now go look in the bathroom painted yellow". They had fun but found them within about five minutes! M thought that pirates actually came to her house and brought the treasure. I didn't tell her that, she came up with it all on her own!

This afternoon we went to a friend's birthday party and they had a magician! It was perfect because next week is magic week! What a great way to get them excited for next week! That was not planned either! We are actually going (hoping to go if the weather is nice) to see a magic show at Kid's Klub next week. I wonder if it will be the same guy. I also need to remember to do a post on Kids Klub later when I'm on an actual computer!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment