Friday, May 28, 2010

Bugs!

This week our theme was bugs. Last weekend I went to the Downers Grove library and got a few books on bugs. The books I got were The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Very Busy Spider, and An Ants Day Off. We started the theme by reading the books. Then I asked the kids if they wanted to make butterflies. Yes! E asked if we could invite our friend K over to make butterflies too. So K came over and made coffee filter butterflies with us. First, you flatten a coffee filter. Then the kids color it with marker however they want. Then give it a few squirts with a spray bottle and watch the colors all blend together. Once they are dry, you scrunch it up and wrap a pipe cleaner around the center to hold it together. Then bend the ends to make antennas. E and K got creative and wanted more than one color for their antennas so I just twisted two of them together. The whole thing happened so fast that I was not able to get any pictures of the process but here is a cute one of three of them with their finished butterflies. The next day we made egg carton bugs. This project lasted a little longer so I was able to get a few pictures of them working away. I'm not sure M really got the idea but she sure did have fun with the paint.

E worked for quite some time on his bugs and got a really nice caterpillar and a purple bug with blue polka dots. I got a picture of the caterpillar but not his other bug. I actually still need to put on the antennas and eyes so once that is done I will take pictures and post them all.
Here is E working on his caterpillar.
Here are M's almost finished bugs. Again, I'll post pictures when they have antennas and eyes.



E's caterpillar. I ended up making one myself that I will have to post a picture of when it is finished. I couldn't help myself, I had to make one. It looked like too much fun. I did wait until E was working hard on his and already had it planned out in his head. While working at the preschool I learned not to do crafts with the kids because they end up copying you.


By the way, that one stripe is red so he is a patriotic caterpillar.

1 comment: